Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tagged!




(Truth be told, I sort of self-tagged over at Kim Guzman's blog.)

What was I doing ten years ago?

Hmmm. I was living in the San Fernando Valley, learning to survive without my daughter at home by pouring my heart into all those activities that I'd put on hold since I'd become a mom.

I'd started playing piano again and had teamed up with an operatic soprano. We met Thursday nights for rehearsals at my house. I was working at a law firm (that I absolutely hated) only because it was within walking distance of my apartment so that I could get home in time to practice before my neighbors got home from work.

I was having a long-distance dating relationship with this man in San Francisco who would come down for my concerts or have me up to San Francisco for touristy stuff or meet me halfway in Morro Bay. Life was good. (I married him. Life is still good.)

Five things on my non-work to do list today:

  1. Work on my Tunisian crochet homework.
  2. Read in the book that was due back to the library last weekend (but which they won't let me renew so I have to pay a fine to finish).
  3. Go to the post office to mail a letter to Canada and buy some pretty stamps.
  4. Lunch and the farmer's market with a friend.
  5. Browse the Internet and upload photos to my Ravelry page, plus add to this blog.
Snacks I enjoy (in no particular order):
  • Haagen Daazs Vanilla Swiss Almond ice cream
  • Wasabe peas
  • Chips and Salsa
  • Chocolate anything
  • Cookies
  • Fresh Cherries
  • Nuts
  • Prunes (really!)

Things I would do if I was a billionaire:

  • Crochet to my heart's content.
  • Practice piano and other instruments more.
  • Hire a personal trainer to keep me fit from all that sitting.
  • Give most of my money to charity or set up a foundation to do it for me. Then set up annuities or funds to make sure DH and DD and I are taken care of for the rest of our lives.
  • Live in a nicer place nearer to the center of my interests.
  • Have houses or townhomes in a few cities around the world.
  • Pay someone else to do my laundry (and throw away my underwear when it gets dingy).
  • Have the kitchen of my dreams.
  • Have a music room with a concert harp, a baby grand, a harpsichord and whatever other instruments I wanted in it with enough room to have small recitals in there.
  • Have a library with plenty of room for all my books and reference materials plus sitting room and audio visual accoutrements.
  • Build on my little lot in Southernmost Illinois that my parents left to me and spend time there in some of the most beautiful land in the country at least every spring or fall. (The photo at the beginning of this entry was taken in parkland near my little lot. I took it the day I scattered some of her ashes there.)
Places I have lived:
  • Southern Illinois (three different suburbs of the St. Louis Metropolitan Area)
  • Urbana, Illinois
  • Los Angeles, California (and 'burbs)
  • San Francisco, California
Jobs I have had:
  • Snow cone truck driver
  • File clerk/Girl Friday/emergency room receptionist/switchboard operator at hospital
  • Bookkeeper
  • Keypunch operator (now known as data entry clerk)
  • Court reporter's transcriber
  • Legal secretary
People I want to know more about:
  • All the designers on Ravelry
  • All the crocheters and knitters I meet online and in real life
  • Musicians
  • Librarians
  • Veterinarians
  • Firemen
  • Most everyone I meet who catches my fancy
The End.

No comments: