Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Warm Ewe Up Winter Yarn Swap Questionnaire

Do you knit or crochet, or both? How long have you been at the craft?
  • Crochet. I learned when I was 5 or 6 and I am now over a half-century old, but there are decades-long gaps when I haven't been "at the craft," so I don't know how to answer. But I can do most anything I want to do with it. Most.
Do you spin?
  • Not that way you mean when you ask.
What yarns/fibers are your favorites?

  •  Soft ones like alpaca and cotton and soy.
  • Colorful crochet threads (no. 10 or 20).
 What yarns/fibers do you not like?

  •  Mohair. Too hard to crochet with it.
What yarns/fibers would you like to try but haven’t?

  • Hmmm. Surprise me.
 What are your favorite colors? Colors that you don’t like?

  •  Almost any color appearing in nature.
  • earth tones
  • heathery blues and greens and greys
  • jewel tones
  • coral and peach
  • not maroon
  • not so much the black and white.
What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet?
  • Anything for babies or children.
  • Anything gift-y for friends that they really appreciate, such as:
  • hats
  • scarves
  • market bags
  • Amigurumi
  • threadwork like beaded bags or
  • snowflake ornaments.
 What are you currently working on?
  • I'm finish up a christening outfit that should be done next week.
  • Then I've got an alpaca throw for a wedding gift
  • I must get started on and some stuffed toys for gifts: a monkey and a bear and a set of penguin bowling pins.
What is your favorite FO? (Please post a picture if you have one.)
Are there any techniques that you want to learn?

Eventually, but I have plenty to work on before then.
  • Hairpin lace
  • broomstick lace
  • Bruges lace
  • Irish crochet
  • And I intend to learn to felt without a washing machine, like with a little washboard or felting washboard that I've seen at my lys.
Do you have a yarn winder and/or swift?
  • Nope. Don't want one either.
How do you store your needles/hooks?
  • I have rolls that serve the purpose, one of them made by someone in an earlier swap which I will keep forever.
 Do you collect anything?
  • Egg cups. (I own only one but I would like it to turn into a collection.)
  • I have a collection of comb-bound grass roots type of cookbooks, like from church bazaars, but that is sort of accidental. See my blog post about it.
Do you like sweets?

  •  Oh, dear. That's Pandora's box for this borderline diabetic! Sugar free chocolates for me or the occasional bite of dark chocolate for me.
What are your favorite scents?
  • Allergic. Can tolerate some natural scents, but not vanilla -- it's usually not really natural when you get it in candles and the like.
 Are you having a birthday during this swap?
  • Nope.
Do you have any online wish lists? (Amazon, Loopy Ewe, etc.) Please include a link for your pal.
What is your living situation (Are you married? Do you have kids, pets, or both?)
  • Living situation:  chaotic
  • Married.
  • Pet kids (two cats)
  • Grown, married daughter lives 700 miles away
Are you allergic to anything?
  • Wool, most likely, but I kind of ignore that.
  • Molds, so don't send any bleu or Gorgonzola cheese or penicillin.
Is there anything else that you would like your pal to know?
  • This is probably not a welcome admission, but I really don't need anything at all. (Well, actually, I don't own a pair of fingerless gloves which I understand are good for typing.) I have more yarn than I can make into something in the next three years.  I join the swaps because I like giving. I guess if you want to send me something handmade, if you send something suitable for giving to my favorite charities, that would be welcome.  Just be sure to tell me that you're giving it to me for that purpose. For instance, lilybugs or Children and Family Services.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi MOI,

I have decided to join this swap too! It's my first swap, so I hope it goes well.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to being your spoiler. :) I've added your blog to my bloglines and I'll be dutifully stalking to see what you might like in the near future.